Snoring is one of the symptoms of a health condition known as Sleep Apnea, a disorder that is actually quite hard to identify. For the proper treatment of snoring problems, it is crucial to be aware of how snoring differs from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).The problem with sleep apnea is that it is a severe condition requiring immediate treatment. Children and adolescents can also be affected with sleep disorder breathing. Snoring does not signal the presence of obstructive sleep apnea all the time. There are times when the condition is triggered only by a social inconvenience.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea:
- Pauses that take place while snoring
- Choking or gasping that follows the pauses
- Fighting sleepiness at work, when driving, or during the entire day
- Rapidly falling asleep when inactive
- Morning headaches and irritability
- Sore throat or dry mouth after waking up
- The need to wake up frequently to urinate
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Decreased libido
Who Is At Risk? Generally males over the age of 40, smokers and those that are overweight.
Orthodontic care can help sleep breathing disorders. Dr. Girish Deshpande will evaluate you and your family and accordingly will provide the necessary oral appliances for treatment of sleep apnea.